Everyone experiences self-doubt, especially after a setback or when venturing into unknown territory. Thoughts may enter your mind such as, “I’m not good enough”, or “Things probably won’t work out.” Although this is normal, you can’t let self doubt prevent you from moving forward. You must find a way to overcome these limiting thoughts and beliefs, otherwise, you’ll remain stuck and stagnant in life. Inspiring words, phrases, and quotes are an excellent way to give yourself a boost of courage when needed. The following self doubt quotes will help you stay motivated and believe in yourself and your abilities.
Find Inspiration In These Self Doubt Quotes
- “Believe in yourself, your abilities, and your own potential. Never let self-doubt hold you captive. You are worthy of all that you dream and hope for.” – Roy Bennett
- “Your self doubt does not define who you are or what you are capable of.”
- “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” – Suzy Kassem
- “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” – Sylvia Plath
- “Fear and self-doubt have always been the greatest enemies of human potential.”
- “Let go of trying to fix yourself. You are not broken.”
- “Everything You’ve ever wanted is one step outside your comfort zone.”
- “Don’t doubt yourself, there are plenty of people who will do that for you.”
- “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we might oft win by fearing to attempt.” – William Shakespeare
- “Self-doubt is the anchor that keeps our ships from sailing.”
I love the quote about doubt killing more dreams than failure by Suzy Kassem. It’s absolutely true. Doubt will kill a dream before it even begins. When we fail, at least we can come away with some valuable knowledge and the recognition within ourselves that we are capable of overcoming fear.
If you know someone who may find inspiration in these self doubt quotes, share one or two with them.
- “It’s not who you are that holds you back. It’s who you think you are not.” – Jean-Michel Basquiat
- “Inhale confidence, exhale doubt.”
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- “Sometimes, my self-doubt became self-limiting.” – Marillyn Hewson
- “I believe every day your life speaks to you – through every experience, through the people you meet, and even through pain, fear and self-doubt.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” – Helen Keller
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can’t have it.” – Dr. Robert Anthony
- “I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time.” – Anna Freud
One of the best ways to overcome doubt is just to do it anyway. Like Van Gogh says in one of my favorite self doubt quotes, “if your voice says you cannot paint, then paint.” Be brave and rebel against the negative voice in your head. If you want more tips to overcome self-doubt check out the video below.
Quotes continue below the video.
- “The same God that created the Universe and all its wonder created you. Don’t be so quick to put yourself down.” -Shane P. Walker
- “Don’t wait, the time will never be just right.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Acting as if you were what you want to become and know you can become is the way to remove self-doubt and enter your real magic kingdom.” – Wayne Dyer
- “If you don’t have some self-doubts and fears when you pursue a dream, then you haven’t dreamed big enough.” – Joe Vitale
- “You don’t need to think. You don’t need to rehearse. All you need to do is be yourself.”
- “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.”
- “You are stronger than you think.”
- “Successful People Have Fear, Successful People Have Doubts, And Successful People Have Worries. They Just Don’t Let These Feelings Stop Them.” – T. Harv Eker
- “Stop doubting yourself. Work hard and make it happen.”
- “When you are free from self-doubt, you fail better, you accept criticism and listen.”
I think we forget how strong we are sometimes. We have doubts that we cannot do something but if we took the time to think, we’d remember that we may have accomplished something or gotten through something much harder in the past. Think about your past accomplishments and triumphs. Draw strength from them.
Which one of these self doubt quotes resonates with you the most? Let us know in the comments below.
- “I forgive myself for having believed, that I was never good enough to have, get & be what I wanted.” – DeRohan
- “Profound, bottomless self-doubt – it has no value – what’s the point? In a way, it takes up as much time as anything else.” Jonathan Foer
- “In a society that profits from your self-doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act.”
- “When in doubt, doubt the doubt!” – Deepak Chopra
- “Anxiety and self-doubt can bring you down, but don’t quit. Keep your motivation strong, and take back control of your life.” – Aurora Berill
- “Erase self-doubt by working to build your strengths instead of focusing on your weaknesses.” – Rodolfo Costa
- “Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” -John Wooden
- “You have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
- “The way you speak to yourself matter.”
- “How many veils must fall before you realize the miracle you are?
What has self-doubt gotten you so far? Like Louise Hay says in her quote, criticizing yourself hasn’t been working so far so instead try approving of yourself. Let self doubt quotes such as these change your perspective. Learn to overcome anxiety and fear and believe in yourself that you have what it takes to go to the next level.
- “Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.”
- “Removing doubt is like removing a blindfold.” Tim Fargo
- “Doubt is only removed by action. If you’re not working then that’s where doubt comes in.” Conor McGregor
- “Fear and self-doubt are the greatest killers of personal genius.” – Ziad Abdelnour
- “I have self-doubt, insecurity and I have fear of failure. I have nights when I show up at the arena and I’m like, ‘My back hurts, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I don’t have it. I just want to chill.’ We all have self-doubt. You don’t deny it, but you also don’t capitulate to it. You embrace it.” – Kobe Bryant
- “If you’re insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” – Tim Ferriss
- “Challenges are what make life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes it meaningful.” – Joshua J. Marine
- “Just because you think you’re worthless doesn’t make it true.”
- “Don’t let your doubts sabotage your actions.”
- “Never let your fear decide your future.”
- “When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt.”
- “The first and most important person you must believe in is yourself.” – Toni Sorenson
Hopefully, these self doubt quotes will help you believe in yourself. You have everything within you to succeed. Self doubt will always be a part of our lives but we don’t have to let it hold us back. Have courage and take a step forward.
If you could overcome self doubt, how would that change your life? Let us know in the comments below.