Last Updated on March 26, 2022.
We all have regret. The important thing is what we do about it. We can either let our past hold us back, or we can work to get over our regret. Use the following regret quotes for inspiration and motivation to let go and move on.
You May Also Like: Let Go Of Regret And Move On
These quotes are split into different regret categories for your convenience.
Letting Go And Moving On Regret Quotes
The following quotes are to help you let go and move on instead of holding on to regret. Use them to motivate you to look ahead to brighter days.
- “Don’t let today’s disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow’s dreams. Keep moving forward.”
- “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” -Katherine Mansfield
- “To heal a wound you need to stop touching it.”
- “Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows.”
- “Just be patient, breathe. Wait for your time, keep grinding.”
- “The past could always be annihilated. Regret, denial, or forgetfulness could do that. But the future was inevitable.” – Oscar Wilde
- “No amount of regret can change the past. No amount of anxiety can change the future.”
- “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
- “Don’t let your past dictate who you are, but let it be a lesson that strengthens the person you’ll become.”
- “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. if it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Jean Plaidy
Relationship Quotes On Regret
Don’t let past relationships define you. Perhaps you regret doing something that ended a relationship. Maybe you let one get away. Whatever the case these quotes will help you reflect and hopefully heal your heart.
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Sometimes you have to forget what you want to remember what you deserve.”
- “Sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”
- “Every breakup is an opportunity to do it right the next time.”
- “At some point you have to let go of what you thought should happen and live what is happening.”
- “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take, relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited to long to make.”
- “You never know what you have until you lose it, and once you lost it, you can never get it back.”
- “I’m something you’ll regret losing, I can promise you that much.”
- “People say you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone … truth is, you knew what you had, you just thought you’d never lose it.”
- “One day you’ll regret everything you did to lose her.” – Nicole Clements
Regrets On Lost Dreams
These regret quotes focus on the opportunities we have missed in life to follow our dreams. Use them as inspiration to rekindle your calling. You have regret today, don’t have regret in a year from now. Now is the time to go for it.
- “Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.”
- “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” – Karen Lamb
- “I try to live again screaming silently for my lost dreams.”
- “I hate that I’m still hoping.”
- “If you follow your heart, you’re never going to regret anything, even if you completely mess up constantly.” – Kristen Stewart
- “The cost of not following your heart, is spending the rest of your life wishing you had.”
- “Don’t live with regrets. Follow your heart more than your head. Follow your intuition more than expectations from those close to you.”
- “A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.” – John Barrymore
- “It’s insecurity that is always chasing you and standing in the way of your dreams.” – Vin Diesel
- “If I follow my dream and it shatters – I can accept having to regret that. But I don’t want to regret not pursuing it in the first place.” – Tsugumi Ohba
Regret Quotes On Wasting Time
Time slips by so fast. It’s hard not to regret wasting it, especially when we are older. Here are some quotes to help you deal with wasted time.
- “Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.” – Mason Cooley
- “Isn’t it pathetic how we waste so much time on certain people and in the end, they prove that they weren’t even worth a second of it?”
- “I regret those times when I’ve chosen the dark side. I’ve wasted enough time not being happy.” – Jessica Lange
- “Regret for time wasted can become a power for good in the time that remains, if we will only stop the waste and the idle, useless regretting.” – Arthur Brisbane
- “If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.” – Bruce Lee
- “Sometimes there is no next time, no time-outs, no second chances. Sometimes it’s now or never.” – Alan Bennett
- “At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more race, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with your family.” – Barbara Bush
- “Life is lived in time. Therefore he who wastes time, wast’s life.” – Vincent N.
- “Time isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing.” -Miles Davis
- “I regret the time I’ve wasted with the wrong people.”
Death Bed and Dying Quotes
These quotes deal with end of life. Let them motivate you to make a change now.
- “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.” Bonnie Ware
- “The tragedy of life is not death but what we let die inside of us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
- “It’s not the things we do in life that we regret on our death bed, it is the things we do not.” – Randy Pausch
- “No one ever said on their deathbed, “I wish I spent more time at the office.””
- “You cannot just waste time. Otherwise you’ll die to regret it.” -Harriet Doerr
- “The sad thing is that I leave with so much to say.” – Bartok
- “It’s weird, all you think about when you’re young is gaining your independence, but when those final hours come, people want to go home.” – Kathryn Craft
- “At the end, life will hold us responsible for all the blessings that we refused to acknowledge.” – Amit Kalantri
- “Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live.” – Henry Van Dyke
- “The trouble is, you think you have time.” – Buddha
If any of these regret quotes resonate with you, please share them. Here are more quotes you may like.
What is your favorite quote on regret? Let us know in the comments below.