Fear is not always a bad thing. Among other benefits, it keeps us safe and helps keep us sharp and on our toes. But fear can also paralyze our progress, and keep us from living our best life. Opportunities can slip by, amazing experiences can be lost, relationships may be empty, and much more if fear controls your life. The overcoming fear quotes in this article will hopefully inspire and empower you to conquer your angst so that you can succeed and live a fulfilling life.
The following quotes to overcome fear are organized into sections for your convenience.
Overcoming Fear Quotes – General Life
The following fear quotes are geared towards general life. We are all afraid of something. Whether it is to pivot in your career or moving on from a relationship. These inspiring words will give you some perspective on the things that have been holding you back.
- “Thinking will not overcome fear but action will.” – W. Clement Stone
- “Feel the fear and do it anyway.”
- “He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” – Nelson Mandela
- “There is no illusion greater than fear.” – Lao TZU
- “Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it. That is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear.” – Dale Carnegie
- “Bravely overcoming one small fear gives you the courage to take on the next.” -Daisaku Ikeda
- “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” – Jack Canfield
- “Fear has two meanings: ‘Forget everything and run’ or ‘Face everything and rise.’ The choice is yours.” – Zig Ziglar
- “The fears we don’t face becomes our LIMITS.” – Robin Sharma
Like the image quote below points out, when it comes to overcoming fear, the best approach is to start small. Once you tackle the smaller things that frighten you, it becomes easier and easier to take on bigger challenges.
- “Never trust your fears, they don’t know your strength.” -Athena Singh
- “If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.” – Seth Godin
- “He how has overcome his fears will truly be free.” – Aristotle
- “The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire, not things we fear.” – Brian Tracy
- “One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do.” – Henry Ford
- “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.”
- “Never let your fear decide your fate.”
- “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” -Louisa May Alcott
- “Fear is the brain’s way of telling you there is something important for you to overcome.”
- “I don’t run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run towards it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your foot.” Nadia Comaneci
- “We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.” – Seneca
- “It’s not the absence of fear. It’s overcoming it.” – Emma Watson
- “Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once you thought you couldn’t.”
- “Wake up everyday stronger than yesterday. Face your fears and wipe your tears.”
- “Where your fear is, there is your task.” – Carl Jung
- “Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” John D. Rockefeller
- “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasures you seek.” – Joseph Campbell
- “A ship is always safe at shore but that is not what it is built for.” – Albert Einstein
- “Fear not tomorrow. God is already there.” – Ruth Graham
- “Do not fear the unknown, dar to be adventurous in life.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Fear of Failure Quotes
Fear of failure will keep you in your comfort zone, which is a place where nothing ever grows. Failure is inevitable in some way shape or form but you must look at it as a good thing. It is in failure that we grow, learn, and become stronger. Here are some of my favorite overcoming fear quotes that deal specifically with the fear of failure.
- “Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.” – Zig Ziglar
- “You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.”
- “Fear thrives in a place of inaction. Overcome your anxiety by taking one small step forward.” – Sarah Boyd
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
- “Remember, being successful in life is all about overcoming the fear of failure.” – Sam Zulu
- “Don’t fear failure. Fear the absence of progress.”
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” – Paulo Coelho
- “When the fear of failure cripples you to the point where you don’t make the call, you’ll eventually get to the day where you see you haven’t lived at all.” – Ms. Moem
- “Do not fear failure, but please be terrified of regret.” – Deshauna Barber
- “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” – Bruce Lee
- “Failure is success if we learn from it.” – Malcolm Forbes
- “Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.” – C.S. Lewis
- “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” -Theodore Roosevelt
- “Doubt and fear steal more dreams than failure does.” – Darren Hardy
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- “Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.” – Frederick Smith
- “Fear regret more than failure.” – Taryn Rose
- “Regret and fear are twin thieves that rob us of today.” – Bob Hastings
- “Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death.” – James F. Byrnes
- “Too many of us never realize our full potential because our fears block us.” – Les Brown
- “I don’t fear failure because if you don’t fail, you would not know the secret of success.” -Sonam Kapoor
- “The only failed book is the one that was never written, out of fear of failure.” – Giuseppe Bianco
- “Never let fear of failure hold you back from what might be the calling meant for you.”
Be sure to treat yourself with kindness during times you feel like a failure.
Fear of Being Alone Quotes
As human beings we are naturally social. That doesn’t mean that we should always force ourselves to be around others, however. Especially if people are toxic, make us feel less than, or make us feel like someone else entirely. Yet many of us stay in situations, or end up in situations that are unhealthy for us, because the fear of being alone is powerful. If you find yourself in a similar situation, here are some inspiring fear quotes to help you cope with being alone.
- “Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope.” Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Fear of being alone is not a good reason to stay.”
- “Never fear being alone, because you never are.” – Rod Mckuen
- “Don’t be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means to stand alone.”
- “In order to be open to creativity, one must have the capacity for constructive use of solitude. One must overcome the fear of being alone.” – Rollo May
- “Don’t fear being alone, fear being with people who make you feel alone.” – Sayali
- “It’s an interesting combination; having a great fear of being alone, and having a desperate need for solitude and the solitary experience. That’s always been a tug of war for me.” – Jodie Foster
- “Being alone is scary, but not as scary as feeling alone in a relationship.” – Amelia Earhart
- “Sometimes you have to forget what you want to remember what you deserve.”
- “Some people think that it’s holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it’s letting go.”
Are you hurting from a breakup right now? If so, here are some breakup quotes to help you heal as well.
- “Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself; know what you want.” – Janet Fitch
- “On being alone: I think it’s a good thing to do; you get to know yourself, and I think that’s the most important thing in the whole world.” – Robert Paul Smith
- “One good thing about being alone is that I have so much time for myself.”
- “Many people suffer from the fear of finding oneself alone, and so they don’t find themselves at all.” – Rollo May
- “You will understand the world in depth when you do not fear walking alone.”
- “Standing alone is better than standing with people who don’t value you.”
- “If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear?” – Confucius
- “Loneliness is not caused by others. It is when your mind tells you that nobody cares about you.”
- “Some journeys, we must take alone. The caterpillar does not judge itself for craving the cocoon. Do not fear the isolated path. There, you will not be lonely. You will meet yourself.” – Vironika Tugaleva
- “It’s easy to stand with the crowd. It takes courage to stand alone.”
Disappointing Others Quotes
Some people get their value and self-worth from others. If others are pleased with them, then they can feel good about themselves. The problem with getting all your worth from others, is that the fear of disappointing others can be overwhelming. In their eyes, letting others down equates to having no value. If you are afraid of disappointing others, the next set of fear quotes may help.
- “Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.”
- “Don’t let today’s disappointment cast a shadow on tomorrow’s dream.”
- “Life is too short to worry about stupid things. Have fun. Fall in love. Regret nothing and don’t let people bring you down.”
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Don’t feel bad for making decisions that hurt other people. You’re not responsible for their happiness, you are responsible for yours.”
- “It’s not about being what everyone wants you to be, it’s about being yourself and finding someone who truly loves you for what you are.”
- “It’s your life. Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty for living it your way.”
- “Be who you are and let everyone love that person.”
- “Don’t feel guilty for doing what’s best for you.”
- “Good people sometimes make bad decisions. They mess up, and they let others down. That doesn’t make them bad people. We all make mistakes.”
If you struggle with making others happy at all costs, including your own happiness, here are some quotes that will help you with your people pleasing ways.
- “Don’t feel bad for doing the best you can.” – Shane Paul Walker
- “The deepest pain I ever felt was denying my own feelings to make everyone else comfortable.” – Nicole Lyons
- “People will love you. People will hate you. And none of it will have anything to do with you.” – Abraham Hicks
- “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” – Maya Angelou
- “Sometimes you gotta mess up a little bit to wake up.” – Archie Manning
- “You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right.” – Rosa Parks
- “You cannot be everything to everyone.”
Fear of Change Quotes
One of the biggest fears people have is that of change. Whether it is a change in where you live, a change in age, or a change in relationship, change can cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Because it’s so hard, people will hold on to things out of fear. Here are some overcoming fear quotes on change to help ease you through stressful transitions.
- “Change can be scary but you know what’s scarier? Allowing fear to stop you from growing, evolving and progressing.” – Mandy Hale
- “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.” – Jim Rohn
- “What if I told you that 10 years from now, your life would be exactly the same? I doubt you’d be happy. So, why are you so afraid of change?” – Karen Salmansohn
- “Don’t fear change. Embrace it.” – Anthony Dangelo
- “Don’t be afraid of new beginnings. Don’t shy away from new people, new energy, new surroundings. Embrace new chances at happiness.” – Billy Chapata
- “Sometimes you just know it’s time to start something new and trust the magic of new beginnings.”
- “Don’t be afraid of change, because it is leading you to a new beginning.” – Joyce Meyer
- “People always fear change. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn’t they?” – Bill Gates
- “If you run you stand a chance of losing, but if you don’t run you’ve already lost.” – Barack Obama
Fear is a powerful emotion. If you struggle moving forward in life or making a change, use these overcoming fear quotes for inspiration.
Which of these quotes resonate with you the most? Let me know in the comments below.